The first trial of the spherical cake tin! It takes six eggs of a normal sponge mix.
I used a mixture of chocolate and vanilla sponge to give layers of the Earth.
The cake took about an hour to cook at 180 because the time are so thick.
I used blue and green icing to make the globe(one packet of blue icing wasn't enough) and m and ms as the disease cubes.
At a McMillan Coffee Morning last week I had a delicious cake labelled as Russian Honey Cake. I immediately trawled the internet for recipes and made this, which while delicious, was nothing like the cake. People need to work on their referencing.
Russian Honey Cake is made of layers of biscuit like cake with honey filling. It's pretty tasty, a little bit like millionaire shortbread without the chocolate.
2 beaten eggs, 4tbl spoons honey, 2oz butter, 1 can condensed milk. Heat all of the ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil until thick. Leave to cool before assembly.
Cake:2 beaten eggs, 1 cup caster sugar, 2 tbl spoons honey, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 cup butter, 3-4 cups plain flour.
Mix the sugar and the eggs. Melt the butter in a saucepan then add egg-sugar mixture, honey and baking powder. Heat until foamy. Add flour until the dough is not sticky. Divide it into five parts, roll out into circles 1/4" thick and cook for 7 minutes at 180 degrees. Cool.
Cut the biscuits into circles. I used a saucepan lid for a mold. Then layer the cake with biscuits and cream.
Put the remenants of the biscuits into a blender and cover the cake in breadcrumbs.
Leave in the fridge for 6 hours to become gooey.
This is another of the Famous Frocks dresses, a sophisticated Jackie O inspired shift in purple. It has a lovely boat neckline and slight swish with an A line skirt.
This took 1.5x1.5 m of purple felt, the same of purple lining, a 22" zip(pattern recommends 24" but they're harder to find) one spool purple thread, some gold embroidery thread and a hook and eye.
The pattern came together relatively easily although I'm finding the top came out quite small. The suggested seam allowance is 16mm and I ended up giving it 10mm. This is a little too big so go for somewhere in between.
The dress isn't lined so cut the same pattern, except for the facing out of their lining. Sew the skirt in the same manner as the main skirt and then attach it at the top wrong sides together. Sew the top lining as the fabric top and then sew it wrong sides together to the fabric at the same time as the interfacing (make sure it will end up under the interfacing!). When attaching the top to the skirt, leave the top lining free and then hand sew it over later, once the zip is attached.
I wanted to test the embroidery capabilities of my new sewing machine so decided to embellish the edges with some gold stitching.
I wanted to go around the hem, sleeves and possibly collar but unfortunately the machine found the fabric too bulky. I lowered the tension as much as I could and made it around the hem but the four layers of felt at the arm holes were too much for it.
Overall, I'm pleased with the dress and think it will look lovely with as black leather belt around the waist, a very stylish addition to the autumn work wardrobe.
Later adjustments: I took the neckline up at the back in a triangle from the zip to the shoulder to make it fall better, 1" at the largest. I think this could be improve by using a side seam zip rather than a back Centre seam zip.
You rip what you sew!