I've made a few changes to the classic family recipe this year.
1) Soak the fruit for a week, stirring daily:
500g mixed fruit and peel
1 small pot of glacier cherries
200g mixed nuts
70cl (minus two shot glasses worth to taste...) cherry brandy
2) Mix 4oz butter and 4oz brown sugar
3) Add 2 eggs alternately with 6oz plain flour
4) Add this to the fruit mixture with 1tsp allspice, 7ml liquid glycerol, 7ml black treacle and bicarbonate of soda.
5) Cook in a cool oven (150 C) for two hours then cool.
6) Feed with amaretto weekly.
It was a pretty delicious cake that went down very well with the DH's father- always good! The nuts definitely added something to it and the amaretto and cherry brandy made it very sweet so it didn't really taste of fruit cake, so not a recipe for the traditionalist.
Next year I will put in less amaretto- it was incredibly gooey!
You rip what you sew!