The perfect way to test a new sewing machine: cotton pyjamas. My mother bought this fabric several months ago and it has been sitting in her fabric collection unloved. So I borrowed it and intend for Father Christmas to return it for Christmas as a pair of pyjamas. Hope she doesn't mind (or see this post).
This used about 3m of cotton fabric but could have used less due to the direction the owls were printed. It's really gorgeous fabric! I used a trouser pattern I had already but adapted it so that the front and back were the same, made it more baggy and added an extra 2" for the roll over draw string. It would probably be easier to just draw around a pair of pyjamas.
I cut the seams to be 20mm rather than the usual 15mm so that I could put in princess seams: you sew wrong sides together about 6mm from the edge then fold them over and sew right sides together. This means that there is no loose fabric anywhere and looks much more professional. It works well as I don't have an overlocker (serger); although if you're making fleecy winter pyjamas I would use short seams and an overlocking stitch if possible as princess seams would be very bulky.
I sewed the two legs separately and then put one inside the other to join them together (a top tip passed down from my mother).
To make the drawstring band, I sewed in two button holes the same width as the cotton twill. (I needed about 1m of that). My new sewing machine has a one step button hole which is fantastic!
Then I folded over the fabric twice and ironed it in place. Finally, I sewed around the edge near the bottom of the turn over. This could be a place to top stich with a double needle if you have one.
To thread the ribbon through, attach it to a safety pin first: this is easier to find and push through all the fabric!
To make the hem, I folded over the bottom edge twice and stitched along it. Again, this would be a good place to use a double needle.
Et Voila! A beautiful pair of pyjamas with no visible seams or hems! Hope she likes them!
You rip what you sew!