A compromise in interior decorating and scatter cushions, what every household needs for Games Night.... Suburbia Cushions!
Each cushion is a nearly regular hexagon with 40cm sides. Maths teachers should be proud as, not have a protractor at home, I used the compass method of drawing 60 degree angles to make a 120 degree corner for them! They are an interpretation of the starter tiles from Ted Alspach's Suburbia game.
I made the cushions out of white cotton and stuffed them with toy stuffing. They needed a lot of stuffing!
Making the covers began by making the five mini hexagons of each colour. All of them were made using white cotton, machine embroidered onto coloured cotton. They became a little wrinkled even using iron on interfacing and next time I'd probably do them in reverse.
Then the borders were attached to their background hexagon. The tiles have drawings on them and this did lead to quite a planning meeting about how best to represent this: I felt that more applique would be time consuming and draw too much attention to the background but the co chair was worried that fabric paint would look too messy; so the backgrounds are plain. I think that looks better as otherwise the cushions would be too messy.
Next it was time to add the white embroidery. I used a white pen to outline the areas before machining them on. This is my first sewing machine embroidery project so I was a little nervous, particularly about the dollar signs but they came out passable.
Then the cushions were finished off with the banners. the writing is done in fabric pen as I didn't think I could machine embroider that neatly. And finally all off the hexes were attached. This lead to much less wrinkling as the fabric was very thick by then.
Because of their shape, the cushions needed really long zips so I bought some continuous zip in blue and watched many videos to discover the technique for attaching the pull but it turns out, jamming them on works just fine.
Finally, the back and the front were joined together and here is the completed result.
For the hardcore gamers out there, I'll admit that there are some changes from the original tiles: I made the backs lakes, which are the backs of every type of tile except the starter tiles, but I thought it would be more fun. There is also some white writing on the lake cards, which I couldn't replicate due to the resolution of my embroidery. However, there isn't writing on the app version so I'll pretend it was intended.
The cushions are quite large and so can double up as floor cushions if we have too many guests!
Each cushion needed:
70cm x 70cm background colour cotton
70cm x 70 cm border colour cotton
70cm x 70cm blue cotton for back
70cm x150cm white cotton for the cushion
1kg of cushion stuffing
scraps of white, blue, green, yellow, grey cotton for hexes
Black, white, blue, yellow, green, grey and red embroidery thread
The board game company featured the cushions on their instagram!
You rip what you sew!