About two years ago I ( with a lot of help from my mother as patterned fabric is tricky) cut out the fabric for this suit. It's been sitting in the project bag for a long time and was delayed, sleeveless for several weeks when my sewing machine broke but it's finally finished!
The jacket is from a Vogue pattern and fully lined, although when it came to cut the lining out, it turned out I'd left the wrong pattern with the fabric and had to start again. Hence the unplanned slightly jazzy lining.
The jacket is slightly too short. If I were to make it again I'd add 1" and I have quite a short body. I added 2" to the sleeves.
The jacket has some lovely godets at the back. They need a really good iron to fall correctly but really accentuate the waist. A belt helps too. Really make sure you trim the lining and seams so the corner joins aren't bulky.
I wanted to make a three piece suit so I found a very old waist coat pattern and edited it to within an inch of its life. I went for a lower cut top with thin shoulders. This left it as a two rather than five button waist coat. I know that technically you should see the waistcoat popping out of the top of the jacket in a three piece but I prefer the more modern look of this cut.
As no mistakes were made with patterns this time, the lining is a sensible color.The main changes made were cutting the front lower, cutting a lower back and curving the base more.
The skirt in the suit pattern is a wide long A line. I cut this out two years ago but when I came back to the project I decided I'd prefer a pencil skirt. I cut the skirt out using my previous red skirt as a guide on the cross of the fabric.
You rip what you sew!