A few weeks ago a very generous friend gave me an amazing book called Famous Frocks which has patterns of fashion icon dresses. This is the first one I've tried. It's a swinging sixties design with circle pockets. Rather than go for the traditional four contrasting colours I used blue and black herringbone twill with a black velvet bodice.
This took 1.5 x 1.5m of blue herringbone twill, an off-cut of about 1x1.5m black velvet, 1.5x1.5m black lining and four coverable buttons 29mm.
This was also my first project on the new sewing machine, which very excitingly has an automatic buttenholer so I have four beautiful, even buttons although it did have a little trouble with the thickness of the wool.
The pattern came with optional circle pockets which I thought were suitably groovy and added. I had a lot of trouble with rotating them and in the first attempt ended up with two left hand pockets! Luckily the new sewing machine is very accurate with its stitching and so you can't tell where it's been unpicked! I top stitched the edge of the pockets with a lovely satin stitch to make them stand out more (thanks again new sewing machine).
The book doesn't line any of its dresses so I cut a lining pattern out and attached it before adding the placket. I've joined the seams of the dress and lining together but left them free at the bottom so the dress swishes a bit.
Overall, I'm really pleased with the dress. The top is as little tighter than expected although the book did say it had made the top a little more fitted. This could also be because of the thick velvet but I might try the next size up next time as I had to sew the seams as small as possible! I think the herringbone is really smart and an authentic material pattern. While the velvet is gorgeous, it does add a slightly nineties child's party feel to the dress!
You rip what you sew!