My first attempt at decorating rose cupcakes. I tried to make a petal shaper out of cardboard but it failed so I cut the corner off a sandwich bag and used it for piping, holding the end between two fingers so that it formed the triangle required. The petals came out a bit fat but looked pretty. Definitely to be tried again but with real piping equipment.Make a cone shape in the middle of the cake then make petals individually in an up and down motion. I tried two favours of icing- rose and peppermint. the rose was really tasty but the peppermint needed more sugar. They took a LOT of butter icing and were quite large by the end. Probably better for my arteries to decorate fairy cakes.Rose icing (in light pink)
200g icing sugar
2 capfuls rose essence
loads of food coloringPeppermint icing (red)
2 small capful peppermint flavouring
masses of food colouring- red is a difficult colourCupcakes: 2, 4, 4, 4 + vanilla sponge recipe
This is a hat made from remnants of suit material. It's black/very with light blue check outlines. The pattern needed topstitching so I thought blue cotton would tie in the fabric to the ribbon. It's from a McCall's pattern but I couldn't find a link to it on their site. I wanted to give it a black lining but didn't have enough so it's a funky purple and black mix.
A fun and very easy project, which didn't take up much material. I think my hat collection might be soon expanding... Who doesn't need a train driver hat for all occasions?
A mask to match the fabulous purple dress.
I bought a cheep gold mask off Amazon and covered it with remenants of my purple satin and added a few feathers for that perfect Rio Carnival look!
Annoyingly, I couldn't separate the two layers of the mask and the satin seemed to be PVA resistant so it's all sewn together.
Mask from Amazon
Large purple Ostrich feathers from ebay
Pheasant feathers from Amazon
Small purple feathers from Amazon
My first attempt at really slippery fabric, a fabulous Vogue purple dress, wrap around with flounces and cuffed sleeves
The fabric was quite difficult and needed to be hand sewn in place, meaning hemming took a really long time. The chiffon lining was particularly bad and kept snagging, luckily it was only lining. French seems helped tidy it up. I abandoned the narrow seem on the lining and left a messy one. It was too slidy and no one but me will know.
There were a couple of mistakes in the pattern instructions-the position of the ruff and front band keep switching in the diagram. The front band goes on top of the ruff right sides together.
Overall, I'm pleased with the result but the dress doesn't quite fit right. Maybe a smaller top size next time although I suspect the dress might be slightly funnily shaped as the model on the pattern is hiding behind a belt. Still, it's very shiny, a gorgeous colour and the sleeves and ruffs are amazing!
Pattern by Vogue
Fabric from eBay
Purple thread from eBay
Lining from eBay
Hook and eye from eBay
Buttons from eBay
You rip what you sew!