Because who wouldn't?
The project took:
3m of upholstery mocha fabric with lines to make it look like bark
1m beige upholstery fabric for the top
1m PVC leather for the base
3 reels of brown cotton
9 cubic feet of beans
1 bean bag bag
I measured out the top by attaching a pencil to a piece of string (radius + seam allowance) and a pin to get a perfect circle and then drew on the patterns as a guide.
Stitching the circles took a long time and lots of thread but I'm quite pleased with the final result. It's pretty tree stumpy!
I then sewed the sides together and attached it to the top. I stitched each seam twice to make it extra strong.
I cut out 5 roots each about 60cm long and 20cm in diameter and made them different shapes. In hindsight, I'd make them a little wider as the do look a little spindly. These were attached at the top to the sides of the main bag in an arch down to the seam allowance at the bottom to give them some depth and then stuffed. They were closed up when the leather base was attached.
Then I attached the base and sealed up the roots, again double-stitched.
Filling it with beans was very tricky and certainly a two person job. They were so static: looking inside the bag if you dropped a bean, it didn't fall down but flew towards the walls! There are now beans all over the floor and hopefully the bean bag bag will hold!
Overall I'm quite pleased with the new addition to the living room even if its roots are a little... stumpy.
You rip what you sew!