This is a pretty fancy famous frock, a black shift dress with side zip and sheer yoke.
This used the same fabric as the glasses dress.
2m of black suiting
1m of sheer black fabric
I was quite worried about sewing the sheer fabric again as it was going to be really visible and needed to be done perfectly.
It turned out fine though: I used a number 9 needle, matched the tension and sewed very slowly.
The pattern wasn't entirely clear which way around the top should be attached to the collar and I had to cut another out. the long edge is for the collar.
The side zip is a better fit for my square shoulders but a lapped zip is still in the nemesis category of zips. I hate zips. I hand sewed this one before machining it.
This is the first more fitting dress that I have made from the book and I found out that I'm a smaller size than previously thought- S. So I had to take in the side seems and redo the zip. I'll have to cut down the skirt pattern if I make the dress again.
Overall, I'm pleased with how it's turned out and it came together pretty quickly and easily.
Below is the original dress and the dress from the pattern book.
As we approach the revision season, during which sitting outside and using pages of notes to keep the Sun out of one's eyes is compulsory, what more does a budding fashionista want but an equation print dress?
This is another Famous Frocks pattern, the Ava Gardener variation, although it's now pretty far removed from the original! I saw this equation print fabric on Spoonflower and knew I had to make it into this nerdy little number.
The dress is a grey equation print cotton with black mid section and fully lined in black cotton. It has a halter neck top fastened with some black gossgrain ribbon and is backless.
It needed about 2m of each of the cotton fabrics, 1.5m of ribbon, a 16" black zip and some black thread. I added the lining by making the skirt in the black cotton as well as the pattern and then attaching it to the main skirt before it was gathered.
If you want to recreate this smart dress then you might want to experiment with the different types of fabrics available from Spoonflower. There's a lot of gathering in the skirt and this fabric is quite heavy so falls a little more stiffly than it should. At least it means there'll never be a Marilyn moment!
The hemline is hand sewn and the edges of the bodice are top stitched 6mm from the edge to keep it neat.
Overall, I think it's a fun summer frock and I LOVE the fabric. Sadly, I probably can't wear it at school with exam season coming up....
The latest in the Famous Frocks collection: the Mary Quant dress. the variation in the book uses a different colour yoke and hem; it looked really good and I thought it would be fabulously geeky to find a glasses print to use. I'd hoped to find a black with white printed glasses to stick to the original dress but the pink turned out excellently.
The dress is fully lined and made from a poly cotton suiting with white backed cotton glasses print and sheer sleeves. There is a 22" zip in the back and a 1" button on each of the cuffs.
I liked the contrast of the glasses print so much that I decided to put it on the cuffs too.
The pattern was mostly straight forward although the yoke was difficult to sew and became a little ruffled, having to be unpicked. Owing to the cut of the dress and my wide shoulders, I sewed the back neck 2" lower than suggested and that made the collar quite short: next time, I need to redraw the pattern for the back, back facing and collar so that it fits better. It is also quite tight across the chest and could do with a slightly lower front neckline while still keeping the Peter Pan style. Once again, I doubted the length of the dress and ended up cutting off the 2" I added. I should have added 1-2" to the sleeves as they are a little short.
2x fat quarters pink geek chic glasses print cotton
2x fat quarters white cotton as underlining for glasses print
0.5m sheer black fabric
2m black cotton suiting
2x 1" buttons
Lightweight Fusible interfacing
Black cotton thread
2m black lining
The black suiting was very good at fraying. If I were to use it again I'd suggest using hem binding and finishing all of the seams.
Overall, I'm very pleased with the style of the dress- it's really fun while being a sensible length and flattering without being too tight. I should put glasses on all of my sewing projects!
You rip what you sew!