Last year we had power cuts over Christmas and the heating went out. The dogs looked very cold and pathetic wrapped in blankets. Now they have snuggly fleeces to curl up in.
The hoodies were made out of fleece with felt paw print contrast.
1m of grey fleece, 28" plastic zip
There's a button hole below the hood for a lead and a pocket on the back although I'm not sure what a dog needs a pocket for. Normally, I'm not a fan of dressing up animals but it does get very cold.
I used a Kwiksew K4033 pattern size large. It's quite long in the back but a little snug for the wide staffy chest.
A solution to your pumpkin problem: after carving out the inside of your pumpkin you're left with the disgusting, bitter pumpkin flesh. Roasting it is horrible and pumpkin pie just tastes of cinnamon. pumpkin cake, on the other hand...
Blend 800ml of pumpkin innards. That's about two small pumpkin carvings. Beat 480g of butter, 350g caster sugar and 6 eggs. Add 700g of flour, orange zest and 1tsp baking powder.
Cook for 60 minutes at 180 degrees.
Ice with orange royal icing.
I've delved into Famous Frocks again to try out some stretch fabric dresses. The first is this Rita Hayworth inspired one.
It used 1.5x1.5m blue cotton jersey stretch from Tia Knight Fabrics on eBay, 50m royal blue Gutterman thread and 30cm of 6mm clear elastic.
This was the first time trying out stretch stitch on the new machine. The pattern suggested using zig zag stitches but that gave bad seams so I used a straight stretch stitch all the way through. It was a relatively easy pattern, requiring only straight stitch, ruffling and top stitching. Also an exciting first outing for the twin needle.
The ruffling is a little uneven at the top because the sewing machine kept dropping stitches. I unpicked it twice but it was starting to lose structural integrity so I just had to make do with uneven scrunching.
Ruffling was achieved by sewing a wide stitch and gathering it then sewing clear elastic over the top.
Next time it definitely needs sequins! Or velvet.
Notes for next time: stretch cotton jersey does have a right and a wrong side. Ruffle higher up the front to eliminate the odd gap.
About two years ago I ( with a lot of help from my mother as patterned fabric is tricky) cut out the fabric for this suit. It's been sitting in the project bag for a long time and was delayed, sleeveless for several weeks when my sewing machine broke but it's finally finished!
The jacket is from a Vogue pattern and fully lined, although when it came to cut the lining out, it turned out I'd left the wrong pattern with the fabric and had to start again. Hence the unplanned slightly jazzy lining.
The jacket is slightly too short. If I were to make it again I'd add 1" and I have quite a short body. I added 2" to the sleeves.
The jacket has some lovely godets at the back. They need a really good iron to fall correctly but really accentuate the waist. A belt helps too. Really make sure you trim the lining and seams so the corner joins aren't bulky.
I wanted to make a three piece suit so I found a very old waist coat pattern and edited it to within an inch of its life. I went for a lower cut top with thin shoulders. This left it as a two rather than five button waist coat. I know that technically you should see the waistcoat popping out of the top of the jacket in a three piece but I prefer the more modern look of this cut.
As no mistakes were made with patterns this time, the lining is a sensible color.The main changes made were cutting the front lower, cutting a lower back and curving the base more.
The skirt in the suit pattern is a wide long A line. I cut this out two years ago but when I came back to the project I decided I'd prefer a pencil skirt. I cut the skirt out using my previous red skirt as a guide on the cross of the fabric.
You rip what you sew!