With the SO starting a real job for which he'd have to wear a suit all day, I decided to make some shirts for him that would actually fit and wouldn't cost huge amounts of money: they're only cotton after all!
I think it's ridiculous that men's shirts are sized neck size and that's all! It's really hard to put on weight on your neck; how can that possibly be representative of your girth! The SO has a really large neck so shirts tend to either choke him or float around him like a tent.
I used the Burda 7045 patten and made shirt A for all of them but got rid of the collar loops because they're silly. I'm still not very impressed with Burda as a pattern company as they're instructions aren't excellent but now I have a sewing machine that does button holes for me, shirts aren't that fiddly.
I managed to find some Paul Smith shirting fabric on ebay and some 'designer Italian fabric'. You only need 2m and about 13 buttons which means most shirts are less than £8 each.
I made four shirts in the end, including a test one in light blue. I used a large neck and collar size and then slimmed it down below the underarm and made it the correct size by the waist.
I didn't do much top stitching as I noticed that shop bought shirts didn't seem to have it.
The shirt pattern was relatively easy but you do have to be very careful when working out which sleeve is which! A couple of sleeves have extra darts in from where I had to pick out the placket.
You rip what you sew!